The user can transport person, creature, or object of choice by means of Teleportation, Dimensional Travel, Portal Creation or some other way. This may also result from a previous summoning contract, which creates a connection between the summon and summoner.
High level users may not be bound by restrictions such as a contract, and can summon anything they want, including powerful beings or "familiar spirits" and often require strong mystic connections to where these entities reside. Users can call upon fairies, angels, demons, or animal spirits, just to name a few.
The summoning can backfire, however, leading to any number of misfortunes, such as the summoned person, creature, or item causing harm to the summoner.
- Usually temporary.
- Summoned creatures may have to find their own way back, which is likely to cause problems.
- Summoning immensely large/heavy targets may take a mental toll on the user.
- Summoning may not grant control over the summoned being.
- Summoned entities may become uncontrollable and put the summoner and everyone else in the vicinity in danger.
- May require a contract to summon specific entities.
- May require approval of the entity if they are sentient.
- Summoning certain entities may require a sacrifice, such as blood, wealth or life.
- Certain symbols, carvings and/or ceremonies may be needed to summon.
- May require knowledge of what is to be summoned to actually summon it.
- Certain temporal/spacial limitations/restrictions may prevent/complicate summoning.